We welcome prospective students to join our February 7th, 2018 BASW Open House!
The School of Social Work seeks individuals who are interested tackling complex social problems, building skills to help individuals, families and communities, and who are committed to becoming social change agents. The admissions committee makes final decisions based on the strength of the overall application materials. Please carefully review the Essential Skills, Values and Standards of Prosessional Conduct before applying.
- BASW students are admitted for Fall quarter only
- Applications become available in February
- Fall 2017 BASW application deadline has passed (April 3, 2017)
- Fall 2018 BASW applications will be available in February 2018 (anticipated deadline: April 4, 2018)
Who can apply?
- Current UW students — BASW application required
- Transfer students — UW transfer application + BASW application required
- Returning students — UW returning student application + BASW application required
- Minimum of 65 college level credits by start of program
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Earned 2.00 or higher in each prerequisite
See the BASW prerequisites page for details about the four prerequisites that must be completed before you start the BASW program. These four classes can still be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed by the time you start the program, if admitted. Prior to the start of the program, applicants must complete one course in each of the following subjects: Human Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Economics/Political Science.
Notice Regarding Statistics and Foreign Language:
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, an approved introductory Statistics class is a required prerequisite of senior year BASW courses (recommended prior to admission).
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, BASW seniors must fulfill the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement (third year of high school foreign language or third college quarter of a foreign language, or equivalent) in order to graduate. This graduation requirement is different from the UW foreign language admission requirement.
There is no minimum hour requirement for volunteer or community service.
Fall 2017 BASW Application Deadlines & Materials
The deadline to apply to UW for Fall 2017 university transfer admission has passed. The Fall 2017 BASW application deadline (April 3, 2017) has passed. Fall 2018 BASW applications will be available in February 2018 (anticipated deadline April 4, 2018). Additional details on the Fall 2018 BASW application will become available in December.
Learn about general university transfer admission. Transfer students must submit a separate application in addition to the BASW application. This deadline is earlier than the BASW deadline. UW returning students should instead consult the Returning Student reenrollment page for returning student application requirements.
Contact the UW undergraduate admissions office with questions, or consider attending a UW Transfer Thursday session.
You must also submit the BASW application.
These instructions are for reference only, not intended to be used for Fall 2018 applications: Fall 2017 BASW Application Instructions and Materials