The BASW Application is available now!
The School of Social Work seeks individuals who are interested tackling complex social problems, building skills to help individuals, families and communities, and who are committed to becoming social change agents. The admissions committee makes final decisions based on the strength of the overall application materials. Please carefully review the Essential Skills, Values and Standards of Professional Conduct before applying.
- BASW students are admitted for Autumn quarter only
- BASW application in now available here (Autumn 2018 deadline: April 17, 2018)
- Transfer applicants must also submit a required UW transfer application (Autumn 2018 deadline: February 15, 2018)
- UW FAFSA priority deadline: January 15th (annually) | HB 1079 Students: WASFA
Who can apply?
- Current UW students — BASW application required (1 application)
- Transfer students — UW transfer application + BASW application required (2 applications)
- Returning students — UW returning student application + BASW application required (2 applications)
- Minimum of 65 college level credits by start of program
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Earned 2.00 or higher in each prerequisite
See the BASW prerequisites page for details about the four prerequisites that must be completed before you start the BASW program. These four classes can still be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed by the time you start the program, if admitted. Prior to the start of the program, applicants must complete one course in each of the following subjects: Human Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Economics/Political Science.
Notice Regarding Statistics and Foreign Language:
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, an approved introductory Statistics class is a required prerequisite of senior year BASW courses (recommended prior to admission).
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, BASW seniors must fulfill the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement (third year of high school foreign language or third college quarter of a foreign language, or equivalent) in order to graduate. This graduation requirement is different from the UW foreign language admission requirement.
There is no minimum hour requirement for volunteer or community service, however, our strongest applicants tend to have participated in social service related volunteerism, work experience, and internship opportunities. Please review this resource to assist you in identifying relevant social service experience. For details about our 2017 applicant pool, please review the class profile detailed above.
BASW Application Deadlines & Materials
Learn about general university transfer admission. Transfer students must submit a separate application in addition to the BASW application. This deadline is earlier than the BASW deadline. UW returning students should instead consult the Returning Student reenrollment page for returning student application requirements.