Admission to the Master of Social Work Program is selective and is based on a thorough review of your relevant professional and academic background, potential for success in graduate study and potential to contribute to the profession. Please review the Standards for Essential Abilities and Attributes for Admission and Continuance in the School of Social Work before beginning your application.
Here is a look at the 2016 MSW Admission Class Profile. In addition, we encourage prospective applicants to register for one of our upcoming on-campus or online MSW information sessions to learn more about the admission process and our programs.
MSW Application Timeline, Instructions and Materials
Application deadlines for all 2017 MSW programs have passed; it is too late to apply for MSW Advanced Standing (Summer 2017) and Fall 2017 MSW Day or MSW Extended Degree Program admission – there are no exceptions. Applications for 2018 MSW programs will become available in September 2017, and our website will have updated instructions available at that time. Until then, we welcome you to explore the document below to get a sense of what to expect on future MSW applications. It serves as an example, to aid prospective MSW applicants in anticipating what to expect for future applications. Procedures and materials are subject to change.
- MSW APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS 2017 (for reference only)
Notification of Decisions
- Applicants will be notified of an admission decision by the end of March.
- Decisions are sent by electronic mail, so please monitor your spam and other inbox folders if you feel you have missed any communications from us.
- Review the instructions above for in-depth details about eligibility requirements and the application process. Admission is competitive, and applicants are evaluated holistically.
- The GRE is not required, and we welcome applicants with any undergraduate major (it is not necessary to have a prior degree in social work or social welfare).
- There is no minimum GPA requirement for MSW Day or MSW Extended Degree Program applicants. Advanced Standing applicants must satisfy additional requirements.
- While there are no prerequisite classes necessary for admission, applicants are strongly encouraged to complete a Statistics course early. See the instructions above for details.