Our 10-month full-time MSW Advanced Standing Program and our 17-month part-time program is for applicants who have an undergraduate degree in social work or social welfare. After completing required coursework in the summer (see note below), both program options allow students to complete their degree requirements more quickly and to focus on the area of social work they feel most passionate about. The part-time option is ideal for students who want to continue in their current employment. In some cases, students’ worksites may qualify for their field-education placement.

NOTE: All advanced-standing students, regardless of part-time or full-time status, are required to attend an intensive 4-week summer "bridge" program at the start of their program. This "bridge" program is full-time and students will have to attend classes during weekday daytime hours. See MSW Advanced Standing Program Format & Schedule for details.

To be eligible—Students applying for an advanced standing program must have graduated from a U.S. baccalaureate program in social work or social welfare accredited by the CSWE or a Canadian bachelors level social work program accredited by CASSW (CASWE). This is a strict requirement and there are no exceptions; professional experience or related degrees do not qualify. Students who have a BSW/BASW degree from a social work program outside of the U.S. may have their degree evaluated by the International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service, and may apply for Advanced Standing if the degree is determined to be consistent with CSWE requirements.

Additionally, candidates are recommended to have at least 2000 hours of relevant social service experience by the time of application; however, this is not a requirement. Advanced Standing applicants who graduated more than five years ago should demonstrate continued professional growth through social work experience. Professional training, leadership, and advancement in the social work field are also considered. Students with social work degrees outside of the U.S. and Canada may be interested in seeking International Degree Recognition and Evaluation through CSWE.